Friday, August 20, 2010

Med School is Hard!

The short of it is that we have our first test on Monday, and the buzz is almost palpable (will we learn that one in OMT?). People are nervous, to say the least, and the general consensus is that this shit just got real! We've had more lectures this week than the previous two, and the content continues to get heavier. At one point, a fellow classmate commented that he felt like he needed a lifejacket to keep up with the biochemistry... the response from the Professor? "There's going to be a lot of swimming!" At least they're honest...

It's not just that they're expecting a lot from us academically that's overwhelming, it's that there's SO MUCH happening ALL THE TIME! Every day there are dozens of emails announcing projects, clubs, dinners, study sessions, seminars, conferences, appointments, and anything else you could imagine happening in the greater SF area. I've definitely lost the time I had before school to do normal things, like watch TV or floss- and my room constantly looks like a natural disaster clean up zone, but I'm still smiling!

That said, I'm still incredibly excited to be here- tests and all! It's hard to be upset about something you've worked your whole life for. I was one of those "I wanna be a doctor" kids since I can remember, and that helps me when I'm feeling particularly stressed about classes and the schedule overall.  It's a matter of perspective. I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to be here in medical school because, according to some statistics, I shouldn't be here. There were many paths my life could have gone down, and I ended up here anyway. I know that because I had to fight so hard to get here (blood, sweat, tears, and a crapload of cash!), I have a greater understanding of why I deserve to be here and no matter how hard it gets- because it will be impossible at times- I can't lose sight of that.

Rap stars like to remind people of "where they're from," and I find that I can sort of relate to that- partially to keep my street cred (NH!), but mostly because it keeps me grounded- right sized. I may not be Becka from the block (JLo you're a legend) but I will always be Becka- even when I'm Doctor Becka. So, classmates, when you're struggling to keep up and questioning why you ever wanted to come here in the first place -masochism aside- remember what was said the first day in orientation: Remember when you first realized you wanted to be a doctor, and hold on to that. THAT is our lifejacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment