Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Reading List...

Vacation is going swimmingly, so far :)

I finished the year with two B's and an A... far better than I could have predicted. I needed a while to unwind and have been feeling more like myself lately, which is nice. My ToDo list is (thankfully) quite short this summer, so I've decided to catch up on a bit of reading:

-The final 2 of the series, I've already blown through the first 5. I started a bit before the semester was over (I couldn't help it, I thought my brain would explode otherwise!) and will finish before the final movie is out July 15th. This is probably my 4th time through the whole series (individually I've probably read these two 7 or 8 times...) and they are still some of my favorite books. I'm super excited to see the last movie!

-Before moving to California, I decided to read some of the classics. This is one of the half dozen purchased during that time, but I didn't get to it before the semester started in August last year. I'm 40 pages in and already like it more than Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice... we'll see if it tops Dracula (doubtful).

-Jenn Lancaster's first book. I've read her others and loved them! She's a self-proclaimed overweight ex-sorority girl living in the Chicago suburbs. Doesn't sound like something I'd dig- but her sarcastic sense of humor touches a chord. Highly recommend Bright Lights, Big Ass. A beach read, for sure. website: http://www.jennsylvania.com

-Chapters 1-9. I've got to keep my brain active somehow. In addition to this I intend to purchase and peruse a neuro text, commit to memory every drug we've learned so far, and review blood disorders. Thrilling!

-The fourth in a 7 book series by Diana Gabaldon. Outlander, the opener, classified as historical fiction (though I'm pretty sure it fits as "steamy romance" as well...), follows an accidental time-traveled woman through 18th century Scotland. These books are addicting!

-I started with The Hobbit. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did and am excited to read more. I expect Fellowship to drag on in ways similar to Hobbit, but that doesn't discourage me. I also promised people that I would watch the movies only after reading the books... (I guess I can't avoid them forever!)

-A book from the summer book club of Medical Students for Choice. I'm interested to get the opinions and facts, though it's proved a bit of dry reading so far. Maybe I won't take this one to the beach- I'm not interested in sparking any heated debates this vacation.

-Recommended by one of my professors. When I first heard the title I was worried I'd be reading far more about vaginas than I wanted to this summer... but the synopsis on the the sleeve claims it's about Aboriginal Australia. We'll see what the message brings, but I'm now suspicious it's about finding strength through tough times.

A lengthy, if ambitious list. Don't underestimate my ability to leisurely pass days with only a good book, a blanket, sunscreen, and iced lattes!
(That said, I've also been working out a bit- trying to get a good habit down before the next semester starts. I feel like my body aged 10 years during school and hopefully yoga and running will reverse that... Wish me luck and motivation!)

I hope you're all enjoying the summer!
xoxo-B

No comments:

Post a Comment